a guide on how to become a kra tax agent – 5 steps
Last updated on June 9th, 2023 at 10:17 pm
Here is a step by step guide on how to become a KRA tax agent. Tax preparers are professionals, individuals, or businesses who prepare taxes on your behalf or help people who cannot prepare taxes themselves.
How to become a KRA tax agent
- A person who wants to be a tax inspector must apply to the KRA commission for registration.
- The application must be accompanied by a non-refundable fee of Kshs 20,000.
- The Commissioner may register a person as a tax assessor if the person has approved the tax and;
- Be a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Kenya.
- Be a lawyer at the High Court of Kenya and currently hold a practicing certificate.
- Be a former tax administrator with at least 10 years of experience in tax administration.
- Hold any other relevant qualifications and experience recognized by the Commissioner as sufficient for a tax practitioner.
- If satisfied that a person is eligible for registration as a tax assessor, the Commissioner will issue a certificate of registration in the prescribed form.
- The above rules do not apply to a person who is not a temporary resident of Kenya for the sole purpose of representing a client in tax matters.
Withdrawal and cancellation of KRA tax agent license
Your tax representative authority may be revoked under these circumstances:
- If the tax return prepared and filed with the tax authority is false.
- You no longer meet the conditions for recognition as a tax representative.
- You stop working as a tax agent and notify the AMF in writing.
- You tell KRA that you want to stop working as a tax official (voluntary cancellation).
You must notify KRA in writing at least seven days before your termination of employment.
KRA will notify you in writing of the cancellation of the license.
Cancellation will take effect when you stop working as a tax agent or 60 days after receiving the cancellation letter from KRA.