how to get a good conduct certificate in kenya today – a simple guide
Last updated on October 29th, 2023 at 11:41 pm
This article is about how to get a good conduct certificate in Kenya. There are two main ways to getting it, Online via Ecitizen application or manually. A good conduct certificate has many advantages and we intend to make it easy for you if you are planning to apply for one.
why is a good conduct certificate important in Kenya
Job Applications: When you apply for a job, employers may ask for a Good Conduct Certificate to make sure you haven’t been involved in any bad behavior that might affect your work.
Visas and Moving to Other Countries: If you want to visit or live in another country, you might need to show a Good Conduct Certificate. It helps them decide if you’re safe and trustworthy.
Traveling for a Long Time: Some countries ask for a Good Conduct Certificate if you’re planning to stay as a tourist for a long time.
Government Jobs: If you want to work for the government, they may want to see your Good Conduct Certificate to make sure you’re a good fit for the job.
Adopting or Child Custody: When you’re adopting a child or dealing with child custody issues, a Good Conduct Certificate can show you’re a responsible and safe parent.
Professional Jobs: Some jobs, like lawyers, doctors, or financial experts, might require a Good Conduct Certificate to make sure they can trust you in those roles.
Renting a Place: Sometimes landlords ask for a Good Conduct Certificate from potential tenants to make sure everyone living there will be safe.
Business and Money Matters: When you’re starting a business, getting a loan, or investing money, a Good Conduct Certificate can show you’re reliable and honest.
how to get a good conduct certificate in kenya
1. Gather the Necessary Documentation:
- Secure the original and a duplicate copy of your National Identification Card (ID) or a valid Passport.
- Obtain, complete, and sign the application form (C24), which can be obtained at the CID Headquarters, your nearest Huduma Centre, or downloaded from the eCitizen platform.
- Acquire recent passport-size photographs, generally around two, featuring a white background.
- Ensure you have the payment receipt verifying the application fee. It’s important to verify the current fee, as it may vary.
2. Application Methods:
- Visit the eCitizen website (https://www.ecitizen.go.ke/).
- If you don’t possess an eCitizen account, establish one. If you already have an existing account, log in.
- Upon login, choose the “Directorate of Criminal Investigations” tab.
- Select the “Get Police Clearance Certificate” option.
- Complete the online application form (C24) and submit the applicable fee payment.
Carefully follow the instructions for document upload and submission.
- Proceed to the CID Headquarters in Nairobi or your nearest Huduma Centre.
- Obtain a hard copy of the application form (C24) and duly fill it out.
- Attach the essential documents, including your photographs and payment receipt.
- Submit the completed application form at the CID Headquarters or your local Huduma Centre.
- Be prepared for the possibility of having your fingerprints taken. This step is usually conducted at the CID Headquarters or at a designated location. It’s advisable to confirm this requirement upon application.
4. Processing Duration:
- The timeframe for processing a Certificate of Good Conduct can fluctuate, but it typically spans several weeks. It’s crucial to apply well in advance of any impending deadlines.
5. Certificate Retrieval:
- Once your application undergoes processing, you’ll be duly informed to collect your Certificate of Good Conduct. Typically, this certificate must be collected in person at the CID Headquarters or at another specified location.
6. Additional Details:
- The accuracy of the information provided on your application form is of utmost importance, as any disparities could lead to application delays or potential rejection.
- If you reside abroad, you have the option to apply for the Certificate of Good Conduct through Kenyan embassies and consulates.
faqs about good conduct certificate in Kenya
1. What is a Good Conduct Certificate in Kenya?
A Good Conduct Certificate is an official document issued by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in Kenya. It certifies that an individual has not been involved in any criminal activities and has a clean criminal record.
2. Who requires a Good Conduct Certificate?
Good Conduct Certificates are often required by employers, educational institutions, and visa and immigration authorities, both in Kenya and abroad, as part of background checks for various purposes.
3. How can I apply for a Good Conduct Certificate in Kenya?
You can apply for a Good Conduct Certificate by completing an application form (C24) available on the eCitizen platform or at the CID Headquarters or Huduma Centres. Submit the form along with the required documents and payment.
4. What documents are required to apply for a Good Conduct Certificate?
You’ll need your National Identification Card (ID) or a valid Passport, recent passport-size photographs, a duly filled application form (C24), and a payment receipt for the application fee.
5. Can I apply for a Good Conduct Certificate online?
Yes, you can apply online through the eCitizen platform. Create or log in to your eCitizen account, complete the application form, and pay the fee online.
6. What is the processing time for a Good Conduct Certificate?
The processing time can vary but typically takes several weeks. It’s advisable to apply well in advance of any deadlines, especially if the certificate is required for travel or employment purposes.
7. Can I apply for a Good Conduct Certificate if I’m living abroad?
Yes, Kenyan citizens living abroad can apply for a Good Conduct Certificate through Kenyan embassies and consulates in their respective countries.
8. Is fingerprinting required for a Good Conduct Certificate application?
You may be required to have your fingerprints taken as part of the application process. This is usually done at the CID Headquarters or a designated location.
9. How much does it cost to obtain a Good Conduct Certificate?
The application fee can vary and may change over time. You should check with the relevant authorities for the current fee at the time of your application.
10. Are there different types of Good Conduct Certificates for various purposes?
No, there is typically one type of Good Conduct Certificate that serves a general purpose. However, you should specify the purpose of your certificate when applying if it’s required for a specific reason, such as employment or travel.