KMTC Intake Requirements
These are the KMTC intake requirements in Kenya. We also tell you courses offered at KMTC in this article.
The Kenya Medical Training College ( KMTC ) is a State Corporation under the Ministry of Health which offers a wide range of courses, from certificate to higher diploma.
The institution which is currently the largest medical training institution in East and Central Africa has an estimated student population of 34,000 students taking over 70 medical courses.
The KMTC produces an average of 8,000 graduates every year for Kenya’s public and private health sectors, which make up over 80% of Kenya’s hospital workforce.
KMTC Intake Requirements
Below, we have highlighted the intake requirements one has to meet in order to gain admission to KMTC.
|Level of Training||Entry Requirement||Duration of training|
|1||Certificate||A minimum aggregate of C- with relevant combination of other subjects is a requirement.||2 years with the exception of nursing which takes 2 ½ years|
|2||Diploma||KCSE mean grade of C (or equivalent) with relevant combination of other subjects such as English, Kiswahili, Biology, Biological Sciences, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Physical Sciences.||3 years except Community Health Nursing which lasts 3 ½ years|
|3||Upgrading||Holders of a certificate in relevant fields and at least two years working experience.||2 years except Community Health Nursing which lasts 18 Months|
|4||Higher Diploma||Holders of basic diploma in relevant fields and at least a minimum of two years working experience.||1 year|
|5||Short Courses||Individuals and groups such as corporate bodies, companies and government ministries interested in any course or courses can make a written request for arrangements to be made.||2 weeks – 3 Months|
Courses Offered at KMTC
- Clinical Medicine (diploma and higher diploma)
- Community Nutrition ( certificate, diploma)
- Community Oral Health (diploma)
- Dental Technology (diploma)
- Environmental Health Sciences ( certificate, diploma and higher diploma)
- Health Education and Promotion (diploma and higher diploma)
- Health Records and Information (certificate and diploma)
- Medical Education (higher diploma)
- Medical Engineering (certificate, diploma and higher diploma)
- Medical Imaging Sciences (diploma and Higher diploma)
- Medical Laboratory Sciences (diploma and higher diploma)
- Nursing (certificate, diploma and higher diploma)
- Occupational therapy (diploma)
- Optometry (diploma)
- Orthopedic Technology (Certificate, diploma)
- Orthopedic Trauma and Medicine (diploma)
- Pharmacy (diploma and higher diploma)
- Physiotherapy (diploma, higher diploma)
- Health Systems Management (Higher Diploma)