how to apply for a duplicate logbook online on ecitizen in kenya – simple steps
This article is about how to apply for a duplicate logbook online on Ecitizen in Kenya. This is one of the government services offered on Ecitizen platform. This is a comprehensive guide for anyone seeking to replace a logbook.
what is a duplicate logbook?
A duplicate logbook is a replacement or copy of the original document that proves ownership of a motor vehicle. It is issued when the original logbook is lost, stolen, or damaged, and it contains the same information to demonstrate ownership of the vehicle.
when do you need a duplicate logbook?
You need it if:
- Loss: If you misplace or lose your original logbook and cannot find it, you’ll need a duplicate to prove your ownership of the vehicle.
- Theft: In the unfortunate event that your vehicle logbook is stolen, obtaining a duplicate logbook is necessary to maintain your ownership rights.
- Damage: If the original logbook is damaged, making it illegible or unsuitable for official use, a duplicate logbook can replace it.
- Wear and Tear: Over time, logbooks may become worn out or deteriorate, and a duplicate logbook can serve as a fresh and functional replacement.
- Change of Information: Sometimes, changes in vehicle information, such as a change in engine number or other details, might necessitate the issuance of a new logbook.
requirements for a dublicate logbook
- Police abstract for the lost logbook
- Original ID/Passport for the owner of the vehicle . Business registration certificate or Certificate of incorporation for companies.
- Affidavit for lost/defaced/damaged logbook
how to apply for a duplicate logbook online on ecitizen in kenya
Report to the police and get a police abstract if you lost your logbook
Go to the traffic headquarters and obtain Tape-lift
Step 1: Create an eCitizen Account
- Visit the eCitizen website at https://www.ecitizen.go.ke/.
- Click on the “Sign Up” or “Register” option to create a new account.
- Provide your personal information, including your name, email address, phone number, and create a username and password for your eCitizen account.
- Verify your email address by clicking on the confirmation link sent to your email.
Step 2: Log into Your eCitizen Account
- After successfully registering, return to the eCitizen website.
- Log in using your newly created username and password.
Step 3: Select the NTSA Category
- Once logged in, you will be on your eCitizen dashboard.
- Look for the “National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA)” category among the available government services.
Step 4: Choose the Duplicate Logbook Service
- Within the NTSA category, find and click on the “Duplicate Logbook” service.
- Select “Create New“
- Select “Lost or Defaced“
Step 5: Fill in the Required Information
- You will be presented with an application form for the duplicate logbook.
- Fill in the required information, such as the vehicle’s registration number, chassis number, and your contact details.
- Upload tape lift report, police abstract (if lost), and sworn affidavit for damaged or lost logbook. You can upload them as one document
- Ensure all the information is accurate to avoid delays in processing.
Step 6: Pay the Required Fees
- After completing the application form, you will be prompted to pay the application fees for the duplicate logbook.
- Choose your preferred payment method from the available options, which may include M-Pesa or credit/debit cards.
- Follow the payment instructions to complete the transaction.
Step 7: Verify and Review
Review all the information you provided to make sure it’s correct and complete.
Step 8: Submit the Application
If you are satisfied that all the information is accurate, click the “Submit” button to send your application to the NTSA for processing.
Step 9: Receive a Notification
- You will receive a confirmation or notification on your eCitizen account or via email, informing you of your application’s status.
- This notification may include information about the processing time and when to collect your duplicate logbook.
Step 10: Collect Your Duplicate Logbook
- Once your application is approved and processed, follow the instructions provided in the notification to collect your duplicate logbook. This may involve visiting a specific NTSA office or location.
faqs about duplicate logbook in kenya
1. What is a duplicate logbook, and when is it needed?
A duplicate logbook is a replacement for the original logbook of a vehicle. It is needed in case the original logbook is lost, stolen, damaged, or becomes unusable. The duplicate logbook serves as a legal document proving ownership of the vehicle.
2. How do I apply for a duplicate logbook in Kenya?
You can apply for a duplicate logbook in Kenya through the eCitizen platform. The process involves creating an eCitizen account, selecting the NTSA category, choosing the “Duplicate Logbook” service, providing vehicle details, paying the required fees, and submitting the application.
3. What information is required to apply for a duplicate logbook?
To apply for a duplicate logbook, you will typically need to provide details about the vehicle, including the registration number and chassis number, as well as your contact information. You may also need to present a police abstract in case the logbook was stolen.
4. How much does it cost to obtain a duplicate logbook in Kenya?
The cost of a duplicate logbook in Kenya may vary, so it’s advisable to check the latest fees on the eCitizen platform or with the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA). Fees can be paid through various methods, such as M-Pesa or credit/debit cards.
5. How long does it take to process a duplicate logbook application?
The processing time for a duplicate logbook application in Kenya can vary. Typically, it may take a few weeks to several months, depending on the circumstances and the workload of the NTSA. You will be informed of the processing time when you submit your application.
6. Can I track the status of my duplicate logbook application?
Yes, you can track the status of your application on the eCitizen platform. Log in to your eCitizen account, and you should be able to check the progress of your duplicate logbook application.
7. What should I do if I find my original logbook after applying for a duplicate?
If you find your original logbook after applying for a duplicate, you should notify the NTSA immediately. It’s important to avoid using the duplicate logbook to avoid legal issues.
8. Can I apply for a duplicate logbook for a vehicle that is not registered in my name?
No, you cannot apply for a duplicate logbook for a vehicle that is not registered in your name unless you have the legal authority or documentation to do so, such as power of attorney or written consent from the registered owner.
9. Where can I collect my duplicate logbook once it’s ready?
You will receive instructions on where to collect your duplicate logbook in the notification you receive after your application is approved. This may involve visiting a specific NTSA office or location.
10. What should I do if my duplicate logbook is lost or damaged?
If your duplicate logbook is lost or damaged, you may need to go through the application process again to obtain another duplicate logbook. Always keep your logbook in a safe and secure place to prevent such issues.
How to apply for Motor Vehicle Transfer of Ownership