How To Register For NHIF In Kenya
Last updated on June 9th, 2023 at 07:42 pm
This article is a simple guide on how to register for NHIF in Kenya.
The National Health Insurance Fund is a Kenyan government agency that is mandated to provide health insurance to Kenyans above the age of 18 with a monthly income of Ksh 1,000 and above.
NHIF registers all eligible members in formal and informal sectors.
For those in the corporate sector, membership is mandatory.
For those in the non-service sector and retirees, membership is open and voluntary.
To register with NHIF as a member, fill out the membership form.
To register as an employer or organized group, fill out the employer form.
1. Employers Requirements
- Certificate of Registration
- PIN Certificate
NHIF contributions and deductions
Employers collect and pay departmental workers’ wages in kind into the Fund. This is done through Check or E-banking.
Voluntary members pay Kshs 500 per month (Kshs 6,000 per year) while active members pay based on their income.
Payment of NHIF
Hospitals transfer claims directly to NHIF after participants leave the hospital.
Funds review applications to ensure they are correct before making payments.
Claims may be rejected if there are missing documents or incorrect addresses.
NHIF makes payment within 14 days of receiving this document from the hospital.
Members who choose to pay at the hospital can apply directly to the NHIF for reimbursement.
2. Members requirements
1. You must have attained the age of 18 years.
2.Monthly income of Ksh 1,000 and above
3. Copy of National I.D (including spouse if applicable)
4. Copy of Employer Appointment/Introduction Letter (excludes self-employed/voluntary contributors)
5. Coloured passport photo (including spouse and dependents if applicable)
6. Original & copies of Birth Certificate(s) for dependants
8. For foreign residents :
- Copies of passport, alien certificate or work permit (including spouse if applicable)
- Coloured passport photo (including spouse & dependents if applicable)
9. For foreign students :
- Copy of passport
- Coloured passport photo
- Submit the required amount under the Voluntary/Self Employed Category
You can drop the filled registration members form at your nearest NHIF branch.
Frequently asked questions
by self-employed Kenyans registering with NHIF
1. How much you have to pay for the first registration
You will be required to pay KES 1500 to register first.
This will charge your card for three months while waiting for activation after 60 days (2 months).
2. How long does the membership registration process take?
Once registered, the member will be notified of their NHIF membership number.
Processing and issuing of membership cards is done within 14 working days if all documents are provided.
3. How long will it take to start using your card
After registration, your card will be active after 60 days (2 months).
Phone : 020 272 3246 / 020 272 3290
You can also contact NHIF via their Twitter handle @nhifkenya for a quick response.