12 main Functions Of KALRO In Kenya
This article is about main functions of KALRO in Kenya. The Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization (KALRO) was established through the Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Act 2013. It is based in Loresho, along Kaptagat Road off Waiyaki Way, Nairobi.
KALRO was born from the merger of the Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI), the Coffee Research Foundation (CRF), the Kenya Tea Research Foundation (TRF) and the Kenya Sugar Research Foundation (KESREF). This merger aimed to ensure that, through collaborative efforts, agricultural and livestock research contributes to the accelerated growth of the economy towards Vision 2030.
KALRO’s mandate is to conduct agricultural research of national strategic importance.
It is also tasked with producing improved technologies, information, knowledge and approaches to support the agricultural and livestock sector.
Functions Of KALRO In Kenya
- Formulates policy and makes policy recommendations to the Cabinet Secretary for Agricultural Research.
- Coordinates agricultural research in Kenya in accordance with national agricultural policy.
- Determines and advises the government on agricultural research resource needs in Kenya, both at the national and county levels.
- Regulates, supervises and ensures that all agricultural research conducted by research institutes and other institutions or persons conducting agricultural research is consistent with national priorities specified in relevant policy documents.
- Establishes and exercises control over research institutes, committees and research centres.
- Formulates and approves medium and long-term research plans, strategies and budgets of research bodies, committees and organizations.
- It provides grants to research institutions and individuals who wish to carry out research and training programs consistent with KALRO’s national research priorities and plans.
- It supports and promotes training and capacity building in relation to agricultural research.
- It promotes the dissemination and application of research results in the field of agriculture and the creation of a Science Park.
10. It acts as a liaison and ensures coordination of institutions, organizations and people involved in agricultural research.
11. He is responsible for creating platforms for the purpose of sharing research information, promoting
research and technology transfer and dissemination of information relating to progress in agricultural research.
12 Ensures continued improvement in agricultural research performance.
KALRO Headquarters: Loresho, along Kaptagat Road, off Waiyaki Way, Nairobi
Telephone Numbers: +254722206986, +254722206988, +254730707000
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org