How to Get a Police Clearance Certificate online on ecitizen in Kenya – simple guide
This article is about how to Get a Police Clearance Certificate online on Ecitizen in Kenya. If you need a police clearance certificate in Kenya for reasons like a job abroad, travel, or immigration, here’s a step-by-step guide in simple terms: its one of the services offered on Ecitizen.
what is a police clearance certificate?
A police clearance certificate, sometimes called a law enforcement record or criminal history report, is an official document provided by a police department or law enforcement agency. This document functions as a comprehensive record of an individual’s interactions with the legal system in a specific geographical area.
The certificate contains details about any prior criminal convictions, arrests, or legal entanglements the person may have encountered within that particular jurisdiction. It is frequently requested by employers, immigration authorities, or other institutions as part of background checks or as a prerequisite for visa and immigration applications. The aim is to ensure that the individual does not have a criminal history that might present a risk or disqualify them from specific opportunities, such as job positions or residency in a foreign nation.
In essence, a police clearance certificate is an official affirmation of an individual’s legal status concerning any legal issues within a designated region. It aids organizations or authorities in making informed decisions based on an individual’s historical interactions with the law.
importance of police clearance certificate
- Credibility Assurance: This certificate lends an imprimatur of trustworthiness to individuals by affirming their clean legal slate. It instills confidence in potential employers, immigration authorities, or any entity requiring background verification.
- Risk Mitigation: For employers, a police clearance certificate acts as a preemptive safeguard against potential liabilities. It aids in averting the recruitment of individuals with concealed criminal transgressions, thus reducing the risk of legal complications and damage to an organization’s reputation.
- Immigration Prerequisite: In the realm of immigration, this document is often a non-negotiable prerequisite. It acts as a gatekeeper, ensuring that prospective immigrants align with the host country’s legal standards and pose no security or legal threats.
- Cross-Border Mobility: For those venturing across international borders, a police clearance certificate is a travel pass of sorts. It signals compliance with the legal standards of the destination country, facilitating a smooth transition and integration process.
- Legal Compliance: In legal proceedings, this certificate is an invaluable reference for judges and legal professionals. It aids in evaluating an individual’s past legal conduct, which can have implications for sentencing and parole decisions.
- Security Vetting: In roles requiring high security clearance, such as in government or critical infrastructure sectors, this certificate is indispensable. It ensures that individuals entrusted with sensitive information or assets have an unblemished legal history.
- Community Trust: Police clearance certificates contribute to the overall trust and safety within a community. They provide assurance that those living and working within a specific area have been vetted for any criminal inclinations or behavior, promoting a sense of security and well-being.
How to Get a Police Clearance Certificate online on ecitizen in Kenya
1. login to ecitizen
First, figure out why you need this certificate. It could be for a job, travel, or something else. The reason matters because different places might ask for specific things.
Go to www.ecitizen.go.ke and login or create an account if you don’t have one.
Select Department of Criminal Investigation (DCI): Once connected to your eCitizen account, select Department of Criminal Investigation (DCI) from the list of available services.
Request a police certificate: Select “police certificate” and follow the instructions on that page.
Complete the application form: Fill in all the details required in the application form, including your personal information, identification number and why you need the admission certificate.
Read the instructions carefully and fill the application form.
Choose a payment method and pay the police clearance.
2. Go to the Police Station
You’ll need to visit your local police station to start the process. Most people go to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) at their nearby police station.
3. Gather Your Papers
You’ll need certain documents:
a. Your ID or Passport
Show your Kenyan ID card or a valid Kenyan passport to prove who you are. Original ID card and its Photocopy or Birth Certificate & its copy for those under 18 years.
The police will take your fingerprints using a machine.
c. Fill in a Form
Present the Downloaded and printed invoices and C24 form
- Two (2) invoices and
- one C24 double-sided invoice on A4 paper.
- National ID card (adults) / Original birth certificate for children
Present the C24 and the documents along with the original national identity card for adults and original birth certificate for children, to the DIRECTORATE OF CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS DEPARTMENT HEADQUARTERS for fingerprint processing.
d. Pay the Fee
There’s a fee to get the certificate. Chances are that you already paid this online through ecitizen. What’s needed is proof of payment.
Payment Processing Fee: You will need to pay a processing fee of Kshs. 1,050 from the available payment options provided. You need to show that you paid it. The fee can change, so check the latest one.
e. Explain Why
You might need to say why you need the certificate. Just be clear about it.
f. More Stuff
Sometimes, you might have to show extra documents. Ask the police or the place that wants the certificate for details.
4. Hand in Your Papers
Take all your papers to the police station and give them to the right department. Fill in the form carefully and honestly.
Submit Application: Once you have completed all the required details and paid the fees, submit your application.
5. Wait for It
It can take some time to get your certificate. The wait time varies, so be patient.
Wait for processing: Your request will be processed within 10-30 business days.
You will receive an email or SMS once your certificate is ready.
6. Pick Up Your Certificate
When it’s ready, they’ll tell you to come and get it. Bring your original ID or passport when you do.
7. Use Your Certificate
Now you can use your certificate for whatever you needed it for, like a job or travel.
faqs about police clearance certificate in kenya
1. What is a police clearance certificate, and why do I need it?
A police clearance certificate is an official document that confirms your criminal record status within Kenya. It is often required for various purposes, including employment, immigration, travel, or visa applications to demonstrate your background is free of criminal activities.
2. Where can I obtain a police clearance certificate in Kenya?
You can obtain a police clearance certificate from your local police station, particularly the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) office.
3. What documents do I need to apply for a police clearance certificate?
Typically, you will need your Kenyan National ID or a valid Kenyan passport, fingerprints, a filled-out application form, proof of payment, a statement explaining the purpose, and any additional documents required for your specific application.
4. How much does it cost to get a police clearance certificate in Kenya?
The fee for a police clearance certificate can vary, so it’s advisable to check the latest fee schedule, which is subject to change.
5. How long does it take to receive a police clearance certificate?
The processing time varies, and it can take several days to a few weeks. The duration depends on factors such as the volume of applications and the specific police station’s workload.
6. Can I apply for a police clearance certificate online in Kenya?
As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, it was generally required to apply for a police clearance certificate in person at the police station. However, it’s possible that online application services have been introduced since then, so it’s advisable to check for any updated procedures.
7. What should I do if I have a criminal record in Kenya?
If you have a criminal record in Kenya, it will be reflected in your police clearance certificate. Having a criminal record does not necessarily disqualify you from obtaining the certificate, but you should be honest about it when applying. Depending on the purpose of your application, having a criminal record may affect the outcome, so it’s essential to be aware of the specific requirements and implications.
8. Can a police clearance certificate from Kenya be used for international purposes?
Yes, a police clearance certificate obtained in Kenya can be used for international purposes such as visa applications or employment abroad. However, requirements and acceptance can vary from country to country, so it’s essential to confirm whether the certificate meets the specific criteria of the destination country or organization.
Comments are closed.